Coffee and Culture
Learn about the coffee process from tree to cup. This five-day tour focuses on the basics of what you need to know to understand the entire coffee process and related sustainability issues. Learn how micro-climates are critical contributors to unique cup profiles. Meet with small, medium and larger growers to understand the unique issues that each face to remain sustainable in difficult markets. Witness how grassroots community development projects serve as critical elements to providing families and communities the opportunity to secure a dignified standard of living and hope for the future.
- Arrival Day: Arrive in San Jose, welcome, orientation, and overnight.
- Day 2: Visit COOPESARAPIQUI to witness the scholarship awards ceremony for local students. Overnight near the Arenal Volcano and evening tour.
- Day 3: Visit COOPELDOS cooperative for a demonstration of the entire coffee process, hosted by student children of the coop members.
- Day 4: Spend the day at COOPESANTAELENA and a coop project developed by young coffee farmers.
- Day 5: Early morning hike in Monteverde National Park, home of the resplendent Quetzal bird. Overnight in San Jose.
- Day 6: International departures
JavaVentures’ familiarity with the regions, the coffees, the producers and cultures of each of these countries brings unique insights to the participants’ experiences.
Specialized itineraries can be arranged based on each group’s needs and educational mission. Optional add-on vacation packages are also available in each country.